- I was born on July 30, 1969 in Decatur, IL
- My mom wanted to name me Suzanne and Dad wanted Kristine Lynn.
I used to call myself Cricka so everyone else started calling me
Cricket. I don't remember anyone but Dad calling me that, though.
- I was born with cataracts and had them removed at 8 months (right
eye) and 3 yrs (left eye). I wear both contacts and glasses. I also
have retinal damage in my left eye. My vision, corrected, is around
20/40 or 20/50 in my right eye and 20/150 or so in my left. I started
wearing contacts at 8 months old.
- I hated school up until college. I wore really thick glasses from
the second grade through mid-freshman year and was rather socially
inept. I was made fun of constantly, not only by students, but I
was also put down by some teachers and administrators. If a child
was treated now as I was back then, there would be lawsuits involved.
Yet in general I got really good grades and was often on the high
- I am a bit shy around people until I get to know them and trust them.
I have a closet full of insecurities, most stemming from my childhood,
but also from having gained so much weight. Face-to-face conversations
with strangers are scary for me although I don't usually show
- I finished 7th out of 102 in my senior class.
- I avoid crowds - they make me claustrophobic.
- I am pretty sure that I have mild to moderate hyperacusis. I
happened upon this site when looking up information about my jaw
popping. It was a relief to find out I am not the only one who gets
furious about or experiences pain from sounds that others don't even
- I've always had a bit of a belly, but I didn't really gain weight
til after college. Up til the end of my senior year, I was at most
a size 13/14. My smallest was probably the summer of 1990 when I
was a small size 11/12.
- I have gray eyes, but the irises are very uneven and ugly because
of the doctor who butchered them when I was a baby. I've always dreamed
of having pretty eyes.
- My pet peeves are people who chew gum/food with their mouths open
and idiots who think we want to hear their bass thumping through
- I went to Illinois Wesleyan University, a smaller private liberal
arts college here in Bloomington.
- I have a B.A. in French, yet....
- I work for the second largest insurance company in the world. Go
- I tried substitute teaching in my old high school. Not only was
that very awkward, but I despised it! I even subbed for the french
teacher but hated being up in front of people. I subbed for the french
professor at Parkland College in Champaign while I was taking travel
agent courses which was a little better, but I still wouldn't want
to do it again.
- I love to travel! I spent my junior year of college abroad in Nantes,
France, and while I was there I visited England, Scotland, Germany
(twice), Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Denmark, Holland, and Belgium.
All of those except one trip to Germany, England, and Scotland were
done in one month with a friend from college who flew over. I have
been to 32 states and Washington DC, two canadian provinces (Ontario
and Québec), Jamaica, and St. Lucia. In late 2012 I can add Bahamas to the list.
- I have very eclectic tastes in music. The only kinds I generally
do NOT like are rap, country, and really heavy metal/grunge. But
even in those genres there may be a song or two I like. I will listen
to The Andrews Sisters or Vivaldi one minute and Groovy Aardvark
(french punk) the next.
- I am a sucker for soft jazz....I think it is very romantic.
- I miss going to Six Flags-type amusement parks. They aren't made for fat people.
- I wouldn't say I'm a picky eater, but there are several things
I don't like such as most fish/seafood, fungus, and I'm not a fan
of cooked spinach, although I'll eat a little of it in something.
Raw is nummy. :) Otherwise I love fruits and veggies. I'm not very
adventurous with meat beyond the standards, but I love rabbit as
long as it doesn't have a gamey taste.
- I used to eat all my steaks well done. I still like my hamburgers charred, but now I order steaks medium well. Alton Brown can still bite me. ;)
- I enjoy reading cookbooks and recipes although I rarely make anything
out of the ordinary. I'll go through a phase now and then of trying
new recipes but then usually fall back on the old standards.
- One of my favorite hobbies is trying new restaurants, especially
- My favorite cuisine is probably indian, but it's really hard to
choose between that and mexican.
- I tend to talk about food alot. :-D
- I get almost giddy when I see the ocean and walk along the beach.
I would love to live within a reasonable distance of one of the coasts.
I could just sit and listen to the waves all day.
- I met my husband in an online IRC chatroom. We chatted almost every
spare moment for two weeks before meeting in person.
- Our first date was on New Year's Eve, 1996. He took the train down
from Chicago and we spent a romantic evening at......the laundromat!
I knew right then and there it was true love. :)
- My favorite color is burgundy/magenta but cobalt blue is a very
- When I was little, I saw part of Bram Stoker's Dracula and was
so frightened that I wore a cross necklace to bed for weeks afterwards.
- My first stuffed animal was a neon orange and yellow-green bear
named Theodore that my grandma bought for me. I still have him upstairs
in a box, although he is now completely flat.
- I have had surgery ten times, not counting having my wisdom teeth
cut out or my heart cath.. Twice for my eyes, twice for my tonsils
(I had bleeding afterwards that they had to go back in and fix),
when I had my tubes tied, four butt surgeries for abscesses and
a fistula, and finally a hysterectomy.
- I broke my leg when I was in 7th grade and had a cast up over my
knee for six weeks. I've severely sprained both ankles on more than one occasion and tore a
ligament at least once.
- My favorite drink is orange juice.
- My favorite booze is a toss-up between cider and gin and tonic,
- I love to dance, although I'm not terribly graceful. I secretly
wish I could join a square dance or polka club. :)
- I play the piano but I am horribly out of practice and can't remember
any of the songs I used to have memorized.
- I have played for two weddings which was so stressful that I'll
never do it again.
- I've never been into sports, mainly because my PE teachers were
always so mean and graded us on ability rather than how hard we tried.
Even so, I loved soccer, field hockey, and archery. If I were a kid
today, I'd play soccer.
- I have never wanted children, and don't really like being around
- Hubby and I played MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online
Role-Playing Games) for years and years (EQ and WoW), but we've stopped. Now we do various Facebook and other computer games that aren't on a subscription
- My favorite book is The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom.
- I am a cat fanatic and have two spoiled babies - Ramses
and Cleo. They are 12 years old.
- I have one brother, Kerry, who is six years older than I am. Nothing
against him, of course, but I've often wished I also had a sister.
- I grew up in a town of 1000 people.
- I was on the Scholastic Bowl team for three years in high school.
That's where I met my first boyfriend whom I dated for two years.
We were friends for many years afterwards, and he is the one who
introduced me to IRC. Had he not shown me that, I probably would've
never met Ken.
- My favorite season is autumn. I hate hot weather! I don't mind
cold weather except for driving on ice.
- I love to walk outside at night when there is new snow on the ground
and the moon is shining. Everything seems so pristine and peaceful.
- I love backrubs and to have my neck tickled.
- I would be content to never have to drive again, although once
in a while I like to get out on the highway by myself with the windows
down and music blaring.
- I am a night owl. There's just something unnatural about people
who are perky right after getting up. ;) I'm not really coherent
until about 10am. LOL
- I am a terrible housekeeper .
- I don't like to dress up except for once in a very great while.
I prefer to be as comfortable as possible at all times. I think it's
moronic to make a person dress up who sits in a cubicle all day long.
I guarantee I'd be happier and work better if I were allowed to wear
comfortable sweats and a nice t-shirt. :)
- Hubby and I own our own brick and mortar business.
- I have a fear of bugs, especially spiders and crickets.
- I like to keep my toes and feet pretty so I get pedicures a few times a year. Sometimes I'll splurge and add a manicure as well.
- My fingers and thumbs are double-jointed, which means I won thumb
wrestling contests quite a bit as a kid. ;)
- I can wiggle my nose.
- I have little artistic talent even though I've always wanted to
be able to paint and draw. I love art and art history, especially
the neo-classicism through post-impressionism eras. I don't care
much for most modern art.
- I love to play card and board games.
- I enjoy learning foreign languages and about other cultures. I
wish I could live abroad in a different country every couple of years.
- I have always considered myself to be ugly. Probably comes from
being told that I was almost every day at school for 10 years. Being
horribly overweight has just intensified that feeling.
- I hate black licorice. Makes my stomach turn to think about the
- My favorite TV shows, current and past, are Good Eats, Top Chef,
Babylon 5, Big Bang Theory, Star Trek TNG, MASH, and Stargate SG-1.
- We have two sponsor children through Compassion International.
One is a girl in Haiti, the other boy in Tanzania.
- I miss camping, only because I love sitting around a campfire with
the sounds of tree frogs and cicadas surrounding me.
- Up until my sophomore year in high school, I planned on majoring
in meteorology. It still interests me.
- I am completely mechanically inept.
- I would love to know what it feels like to be weightless. If I ever win the lottery, I'm taking one of those parabolic arcs flights.
- I feel very blessed to have a stable job that pays decently, a
close family and in-laws, and a wonderful loving husband.
- I fear being old and alone.
- I drive a 1999 Saturn SL1 that we bought new in Nov. 1998. It has
around 110,000 miles on it in 2012. We also have a 2008 Toyota Rav4 named Ginger.
- I am a list maker. I have a to do list at work. When we go on a
trip, I have three lists: his, hers, and ours. :)
- We have no debts except for our mortgage.
- I have glaucoma and diabetes.
- I would rather get a cavity filled than go to the opthamologist
and have to read an eye chart.
- I have no self control when it comes to pies, cakes, and cookies.
That's why I rarely bake. My favorites are sour cream cookies and
anything rhubarb or blueberry.
- I fully expect to go blind when I'm older.
- I have a restored upright player piano from the early 1900s with
about 120 piano rolls that is our family heirloom. We bought it in
1976, right before Christmas.
- My favorite carbonated drink is Orangina.
- Chocolate or vanilla? Definitely vanilla, but it has to be real vanilla, not that vanillin crap.
- I love watching clouds and taking pictures of them.
- I dream very vivid, crazy dreams that I remember in the morning,
and they often involve flying. Not in a plane - just flying on my
own. Sometimes I can control my dreams.
- I wish I had a walk-in closet.
- I get my feelings hurt and cry easily. I've always been emotional.
- I'm a White Sox fan by marriage. I converted to my husband's team
because I wanted us to be able to watch games and cheer them on together,
and it really didn't make much sense to continue being a Brave's
- I don't have many close friends, but the ones I have are pretty amazing and I think they will be true friends for life.
- I still love to blow
- My favorite toys were
blocks and Tinkertoys.
- I am cynical and feel
that the vast majority of people on this earth are idiots.
- I love
bright, vibrant colors. I find looking at a lit-up Christmas
tree to be very soothing.
- My dream house would
have a large library with shelves built into the walls and a high
ceiling, a jacuzzi, and an in-ground swimming pool.
- I have had
Dom Perignon champagne. I didn't like it. Luckily, I wasn't the
one who paid for it. :)
- I like to read mostly
- I hate shopping for clothes
because I don't think anything ever looks good on me.
- I am allergic
to penicillin and tetanus.
- I'd take a hot dog over
a hamburger anyday, especially one charred nicely over a campfire,
followed by homemade s'mores. Yummah!
- My favorite flower is
the lily, specifically stargazer lilies.
- I can't remember the
last time I returned a library book by the due date. I consider
my fines to be a charitable donation. lol
- I like having breakfast
for lunch or supper.
- Did I mention that I
am a romantic at heart?
In this issue